two facebook workers may have been exposed to deadly nerve agent sarin after a suspicious package was sent to the company’s mail site.
authorities evacuated staff and put the menlo park site at the social media giant’s hq in california under quarantine as they conducted additional testing.
the suspicious package was delivered at around 11am, yesterday, to one of the company’s mail rooms, spokesman anthony harrison said.
the two members of staff were taken to hospital but are not said to be showing any signs of illness.
mr harrison wrote: ‘authorities have not yet identified the substance found.’
menlo park fire marshal jon johnston added: ‘we have two possible exposures but right now they are not exhibiting any signs or symptoms.’
incoming mail undergoing routine processing by machine tested positive for sarin, but it could have been a false positive, mr johnston said.
the fbi is assisting in the investigation, as is common in incidents such as this one.
the federal centres for disease control and prevention says sarin is a chemical warfare agent that is a clear, colourless, odourless and tasteless liquid.
it can evaporate into the environment, prompting symptoms within seconds.
a drop of sarin on skin can cause sweating and muscle twitching, and exposure to large doses can result in paralysis and respiratory failure leading to death.
the cdc says people who are mildly exposed usually recover completely. four buildings were evacuated but three have since been cleared for people to go back in.